Makes about 12 cups
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 2 TBS grass fed butter (see notes)
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 2 TBS raw cacao powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp maca (optional, but recommended: see notes)
- About 6 teaspoons of peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- Place cupcake liners into a muffin pan and set aside. Grease them if you’re using paper liners. Personally, I like to use silicon liners as they’re so easy to peel off when you’re ready to eat the cups.
- Place coconut oil, butter and maple syrup into a small saucepan and warm on the stove on medium-low to melt the oil and butter.
- Once oil and butter have melted take the pan off the heat and add in cacao powder, salt, and maca if you’re using it. Whisk to combine (make sure there are no lumps).
- Pour mixture into the cupcake liners to fill about 1/3 of the way or a bit less (you want enough leftover to fill the cups later). Place in freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Take cups out of the freezer and add about a teaspoon or so of nut butter of choice into the middle of each cup then cover with the remaining chocolate mixture until you can no longer see the nut butter poking through.
- Place back into the freezer and freeze until solid. About 30 minutes.
- My tablespoons are US/Canadian tablespoons. For Australians you need to use 3 Australian teaspoons to make one Canadian tablespoon.
- All ingredients should be organic whenever possible.
- The salt I like to use is pink Himalayan salt.
- Choose your maca wisely. Make sure it’s gelatinized, as this breaks down the goitrogens, which can inhibit thyroid function. Also, make sure you like the taste of it. I enjoy this maca, which is a blend of yellow, red and black. I find it has a nice caramel flavour that really lends itself to this recipe.
If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to join my FREE and PRIVATE Facebook community in which you will be supported and encouraged as you work toward your health goals. This is a safe place for you to talk about your frustrations, set backs, achievements and ask questions pertaining to becoming a healthier and happier mama. You will receive free health advice from me and you will also receive motivation and encouragement on a daily basis in order to keep you on track with your healthy habits. I hope to see you in the group!